Saturday, July 19, 2014

Girls First Sewing Class


Girls heading in to store for their class

Yesterday the girls headed to Joann's Fabrics for their first machine sewing class.  Both were so excited and had their fabrics ready, sewing kits and the stuffing needed for their bear projects.  I was determined to let the girls really learn on their own, so my friend Meredith met me and we went for coffee next once I had the girls settled in their class.

With both set to start I snapped a quick picture and headed off leaving my camera for them to document their time.

The project was a bear that they would have to learn to pin, sew on the machine and cut out, then stuff and do finishing work.

Hannah had stitched her bear, then went to the cutting table to trim the edges and pull of the paper pattern.

Lauren at her machine.  They had to use her sewing box to lift up the peddle so she could reach it to sew.

The class was an hour long, but with 4 first time sewers and a few machine glitches the projects did not get finished in the time allotted.   I arrived back to find Hannah cutting her stitched bear pattern.


While Lauren was still struggling at the machine.  The instructor was busily trying to get the other two girls in the class to a point of completion where they could just do the hand work at home since neither of their mothers sewed they didn't have the machines to complete the stitching.  I jumped in to help Lauren finish her machine stitching having her use the presser foot while I guided the remaining bear pattern under the needle.

We gathered our things and headed home where this morning Hannah and Lauren finished their bears. Here is the process and results.

Lauren's bear needed to be restitched and then we used the seam ripper to remove some unnecessary stitching, before we trimmed the edges.  This class had the girls stitch the pattern to the fabric in order to more easily follow the stitching lines.  Once done it's trimmed then the paper is removed. 
Lauren ripping the paper pattern off, then turning the bear right side out.

Once it was turned and shaped (bottom right) it was time to stuff.
Next the opening was stitched closed and the buttons for it's eyes were sewn on.

Hannah having to learn to seam rip some extra stitches before turning the bear.
Turning right sides out, so it's ready to stuff.
After stuffing her bear (left), it was time to stitch the leg opening closed
Once the leg was stitched closed, she sewed on the buttons for eyes.  We then added ribbons to both bears and to the delight of both girls they were done!!

The smiles say it all


They were both so pleased with themselves and loved accomplishing a whole new learning experience.


2 comments:

  1. Wow so much has happened since I last visited you. Cameron gone to college! I cant imagine the day my kids leave. Tell the truth I will be lost. I should find some thing to keep myself occupied before they leave. Also I was impressed to see the girls using a real sewing machine. Well done.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paps, the girls did well for their first time with the machines. I was happy for them. It's hard to believe Cameron's off to college for me too. Where does time go? I'm happy for him and he's enjoying it, but it is hard to let them go at times : )

    ReplyDelete